For more than a century, towns in the United States have been celebrating annual homecoming celebrations to welcome former students back to campus. The annual alumni event centered around a football game has grown and changed over the years. Here are a few fun facts about the history of Homecoming at UK:
- In 2023, the University of Kentucky will celebrate its 108th Homecoming celebration. Homecoming at UK began in 1915 and has continued every year since.
- Royalty didn't begin until the 1950s. Homecoming was originally just a time to celebrate alumni coming back to campus.
- Homecoming used to be held only in the spring.
- 2005 and 2017 were historic Homecoming years. In 2005, Antoine Huffman became the first Black Homecoming king and in 2017 Jada Linton became the first Black Homecoming queen.
- A Homecoming parade complete with elaborate floats used to wind its way through campus.